FC4 & Maxtor USB One Touch 300GB drive.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 15:42:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 08:05, William H. "Will" Du Chene wrote:
> Hi list.
>
> I seem to have a bit of a dilemma here, and I was wondering if anyone
> would care to volunteer some thoughts? I purchased a Maxtor 300gb
> external USB drive, and attached it to one of my computers - a Compaq
> Presario 5000 running a fresh installation of Fedora Core 4 that I
> download a couple of days ago.
>
> Everything seemed to be working correctly. I blew away the partition
> that was on the Maxtor drive and created a new one, and mounted the
> drive up as usual. Now here is the wierd part: from the box, everything
> is working fine. I can copy backups onto the drive, and use it as
> normal. When I try to share out a directory on the drive using Samba,
> however, I receive errors from the client machine which prevent access
> to the directory on the USB drive. In the error log, I have a single
> message which tells me that the "<directory in the filesystem>  does not
> exist or is not a directory, when connecting to <sharename>."
>
> Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Are you running Selinux?

Are you sure you are authenticating as the same user in samba as
the user with console access to the files.  Samba is constrained
by unix permissions and the additional Selinux restrictions like
any other program.  Something under /var/log/samba/ might give
more details.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com