making Samba work [new detail]

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Aug 9 15:53:43 UTC 2005

On Tue August 9 2005 11:39 am, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Claude Jones wrote:
> > Can't stop, but start is ok... any ideas?
>
> Test rndc again:
>
> # rndc status

root at viewridgeproductions2 etc]# rndc status
number of zones: 6
debug level: 0
xfers running: 0
xfers deferred: 0
soa queries in progress: 0
query logging is OFF
recursive clients: 0/1000
tcp clients: 0/100
server is up and running

> If it doesn't work, check the output of:
>
> # netstat -lp
>
> There should be an entry like:
>
> tcp 0 0 localhost:rndc *:* LISTEN 1835/named

tcp        0      0 viewridgeproductions2.:rndc *:*
LISTEN      14231/named

> If there isn't, the named isn't listening for control connections and
> the error is in your named.conf

This doesn't precisely coincide to what you say, but I don't see anything jump
off the page at me... I wonder, this port it's listening on, does this have
to be available to the lan? Or is this just the machine talking to itself?
All lo is allowed in my firewall rules, but talk between the lan and the
firewall is extremely restricted.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA