Playing DVD's

Bart Couvreur dencouf at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 19:56:30 UTC 2005

On 8/9/05, Billy Masopust <linux343546 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
> My experience with playing DVD's in Linux (any distro) has been a real
> battle.  There are some people out there that claim they were able to play
> DVD's out of the box, but conveniently, none of them can explain how they
> got it to work.  I do know for sure you need a dvd decrypter, which can be
> found on either freshmeat downloads or sourceforge.  I apologize for not
> being able to remember the names of the packages.  There are also a few
> other packages you need, like a menu reader and a playback package.  Also, a
> VERY good source for information on DVD playback in Linux is a web site at
> http://www.linuxquestions.org and search for the issue you are having.  This
> web site is a WEALTH of information.  I hope this helps you out.
>
> Billy
>
> >From: Mark Knights <naron at dodo.com.au>
> >To: Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> >Subject: Playing DVD's
> >Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 16:38:00 +1000
> >
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I thought the Totem Movie player would be able to show DVD's but when I put
> >a DVD in my DVD ROM it is not giving me the option to play the disc and
> >when I hit the play disc command under the movie menue it tells me that;
> >
> >Totem could not play 'dvd://'.
> >No URI handler implemented for "dvd://"
> >
> >Do I need to add a plugin or there are more sinister forces at work?
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Mark

Making Fedora play DVD's is not that difficult:
1. Add the livna-repo to your yum configuration (http://rpm.livna.org)
(how to do: see the site)
2. In a terminal enter (as root): yum install xine\* libdvd\*

Now you can watch DVD's with Xine or even mplayer. Totem seems to have
problems while it's built upon xine-libs

Bart