Grub Problem (?) Installing FC4 dual boot with Win2K

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Aug 9 21:56:00 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:

 > Jim Cornette wrote:

 >> Flip-flop mode: Setting the jumpers to master / slave on even a
 >> cable where pin 28 is used for signaling the Master / slave should
 >> always work. The fact that you have a cable setup for CS should not
 >> matter. Setting the jumpers seems to be best practice for
 >> predictability.
 >

 > This has been my experience, also. But see another thread where one
 > fellow (who really seems to know his stuff) claims that using a CS
 > cable with Master/Slave jumpered drives does not always work. I had
 > one instance where that was the case.

Same here! The failure was detected at the BIOS level.

 > But I routinely junk those new cables. More because they seem to be
 > more susceptible to noise than anything. They are usually the "round"
 > cables (really just ribbon cable in a sheath).

My cable was an ATA 66 MHz ribbon cable.

 >> *However* defective hardware which wants to be master, even when
 >> jumpered as slave, but function correctly if set to CS (cable
 >> select) are legitimate reasons for choosing CS over jumper
 >> settings. Either way would work *sometimes* - :-)
 >

 > Presumably you consider it desirable to continue to use defective
 > hardware. I do not. Except for "junk" computers for testing stuff
 > real quickly. I've got a few that run without even a case. Not
 > something I would recommend.

The drive burns CDROMs reliably. Other than the problem with the Slave
jumper setting still letting the drive assume master. I wouldn't trash
it just because it wants to be Master. (Unless jumpered as  CS)

 >> Jim
 >>
 >> An interesting link described below shows some good information.
 >> http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/ide-cable-select.html
 >>

 > Oh my goodness! CONVERT a GOOD cable into a BAD one!

I found information regarding how pin 28 is grounded for master using CS
and not connected for slave to be the interesting aspect. The
information on old 40-pin cables vs. newer ATA 66 or higher MHz to have
pin-28 disconnected in the middle (secondary position) interesting  with
the system connector and master connector at the ends.
Jim

--
<aj> <Knghtbrd> the increase in tension worldwide (as evidenced by crime
<aj>            and whatnot) over that time period looks a lot like Linux