Playing DVD's

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 01:55:08 UTC 2005

--- Billy Masopust <linux343546 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
> My experience with playing DVD's in Linux (any
> distro) has been a real
> battle.  There are some people out there that claim
> they were able to play
> DVD's out of the box, but conveniently, none of them
> can explain how they
> got it to work.

Fedora can play dvd's out of the box?  I beg to
differ.  You have to install other packages to make it
work.  If you want to play DVD's there are many
packages out there, some requiring more dependencies
than others.  You do have choices.  Which choice you
make is up to you the end user.

The choices are many but one excellent solution to the
dvd prob. is following the instructions at

http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/

download
1.  libdvdcss-1.2.8-2.network.i386.rpm
If you don't know your CPU just get the i586 package.
2.  libxine1-1.1.0cvs-050809.i586.rpm
  current build, this changes periodically since it is
updated regularly.
3.  xine-ui-0.99.4cvs-050809.i586.rpm

You become root by typing su at the terminal
# rpm -Uvh libxine1* xine-ui*

You can install the w32codecs package and mozilla
plugins which are optional depending on what you need.

Best Regards,

Antonio