any success stories on Promise RAID installs?

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Wed Aug 10 02:35:20 UTC 2005

       Has anyone successfully upgraded a RedHat linux box that was
running the non-free Promise RAID drivers (using the bios level RAID
support) to Fedora Core 4? My understanding is that the dmraid package
should be able to parse the tattooing of the hard drive that the
Promise RAID non-free driver uses such that anaconda can find and
use those RAID partitions without losing the data. We have a RedHat 9
box which was installed using those non-free Promise RAID drivers and
I would like to be able to upgrade it to FC4 without reformatting the
drives. Thanks in advance for any feedback on this.
                 Jack