Web / email server

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Wed Aug 10 05:56:10 UTC 2005

Ankush Grover schrieb:
> On 8/10/05, Mathias Gibbens <m.gibbens at cg-online.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>  I'm looking in to setting up a web / email server. I haven't
>>done this before, and would appreciate advice on how to set it up
>>through Linux. A list of things I need to do:
>>
>>     Setup software (Linux, Apache, email program to receive and
>>send messages [SMTP])
>>
>>     Change the IP address assigned to my current URL to the new
>>server's address
>>
>>  This is for a smaller site which needs to be able to host a web
>>site and be an email server for the site. Physically, the box
>>would be sitting on a network with high speed internet. Thanks much,
>>
>>-Mathias
>>
>>There's More Than One Way To Do It
>>http://www.perl.org
>>
>>http://www.hopechristianacademy.org
>

> You need these things
>
> a) you need one MTA like postfix or sendmail or exim or qmail.
> b) a pop/imap software like dovecot or cyrus-imapd or qpopper.
> c) An antivirus like clamav or any other one.
> d) A web based application like squirrelmail for accessing mails
> through web(if required in your case).
> e) Apache for web services.
>
> Regards
>
> Ankush Grover

look here: http://www.brennan.id.au/

this is a howto for a homeserver with several services for fedora,
including apache, sendmail etc.

unfortunately, imap (the mailbox-server) is not described, but i think
dovecot works out of the box. i personally use cyrus-imapd, which suits
my imap-needs.

HTH
Roger