OT: milter-greylist & sendmail - when to start?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Aug 10 07:22:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 21:27 -0700, Mike McMullen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm playing around with milter-greylist and sendmail. I have
> it all working and would like to use it full-time. An rc file
> is generated by the configure script.
>
> However, I'm not sure which rc directory to put it in
> or the numbers to use  for the S & K files. I know
> it needs to start before sendmail.
>
> Anyone done this and can provide me with some tips?

Add the following comment lines to the top of your initscript, which
should go in directory /etc/rc.d/init.d

I'll assume you've called the script "milter-greylist"

#!/bin/bash
#
# Init file for greylist sendmail milter.
#
# chkconfig: - 79 21
#              and makes spammers work hard to deliver their spam
#
# processname: milter-greylist
# config: /etc/sysconfig/milter-greylist
# pidfile: /var/run/milter-greylist.pid

Adjust to taste, changing file/process names as appropriate. The key
values here are the "chkconfig" values, which will let chkconfig and the
other system tools manage the links for you.

With these comments in place, the following should get you going:

# chkconfig --add milter-greylist
# chkconfig milter-greylist on
# service milter-greylist start

That should configure your milter to start just before sendmail and stop
just after it.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>