making Samba work [new detail]

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Wed Aug 10 10:07:50 UTC 2005

On Wed August 10 2005 3:37 am, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 13:43 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> > I'm not sure what that "echo $?" command is - is that "0" the appropriate
> > response?
>
> Yes, it means "success" - it's working :-)

Thanks again, for all the help, Paul. Here's a brief update on my progress
towards resolving the remaining issues.

1) The Windows share problem on StudyPC was resolved - this was where the
drive could be seen, with all its folders, at the root level, but any attempt
to browse a folder would result in an error - as I suspected, this was a
Windows issue. I just unshared the drive, allowing it to rewrite all the
permissions on all the folders, then re-shared it. Now it works...

2) The other issue is still strange; in Konqueror, I can see the workgroup by
entering "smb:/" in the address bar; clicking on "workgroup" shows me the
three pc's that are configured for sharing on the lan; I can browse one of
the pc's, Julimobile,  see its shared drives, and browse all folders on those
shares; if I click on the other Windows machine, StudyPC, I get an error. If
I enter the ip address for that machine "smb://192.168.2.32/" then I can
browse to it. That behavior remains unchanged.
I had mentioned earlier in this thread, that I'd installed smb4k on this
machine; it is a SMB/CIFS utility for mounting shares; that it reports back
things like ip addresses when it does a network scan, and that it was
reporting an incorrect ip address for my recalcitrant pc - I don't how this
program interacts with Samba, but I suspect it uses the same cache for some
purposes - anyhow, tonight, suddenly at 3 am, I started this utility for the
umpteenth time, and it came up correctly reporting StudyPC's ip address, and
allowed me to mount its shares.
So, there's still something a little funny about the whole configuration, but,
I now have two ways of browsing to my shares on the Windows machines, and
those machines can browse the shared folder on my FC4 box.

Because I'm stubborn, I'll continue trying to understand what is the cause of
the remaining anomalous behavior, but for practical purposes, I've achieved
what I needed to do.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA