disabling file:///home/user viewing in apache on fc3

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Aug 10 18:25:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Ankush Grover wrote:

> On 8/10/05, Charles E. Rick Taylor, IV <tomalek at mindspring.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 16:02 +0530, Ankush Grover wrote:
>>
>>> If I do file:///home/user on the browser and then I  can see the
>>> contents of that user's home directory ,even any user can see the root
>>> or any other user's directory.I want to avoid this ,how can i disable
>>> this on my computer. I am using FC3.
>>[...]
>
> If I was able to browse the directories on one PC then I would have
> thought some problem on that particular PC,but same thing was
> happening on another FC3 .
>
> This is what I did on the browser.
>
> file:///root
> file:///home/myhomedirectory which is me
> file:///home/user   another user directory
>
> I tried first with root to browse the directories I was able to see
> all the users directories,and then I tried the same thing  with about
> 5 users even normal users where able to see the directories of the
> root user and even can see the contents of the file If I click on any
> file.
>
> When I change the permissions in /home/* to 770 then it stopped
> showing the directories through the browser.

Wait, what were permissions on home directories before you changed them?

Defaults for /home/* on FC4 are 700 and the uid and gid are individual for
each user, i.e. ownership is user:user.

If you had all users in a single group and 750 or 770 permissions on
/home/* then what did you expect?

What is the output of "ls -l /home"?  What was it before you started
changing stuff around?

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences