fedora-list Digest, Vol 18, Issue 104

David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Aug 11 01:54:34 UTC 2005

stephen.walton at csun.edu wrote:

>Frank Chen wrote:
>

>>>Is it possible to use lilo to boot FC4?
>>>

>Why would you want to?  What can lilo do that grub cannot?

When I set up my server (mail, web, NAT, samba, nfs) I wanted Linux
software RAID 1 for the boot disk.  With lilo it was a piece of cake
while the instructions for setting up grub were extensive and, at the
time, experimental.  Not saying this hasn't gotten fixed since then but
this used to be a real problem and it's sort of inherent in the grub
design.  On the other hand, lilo recognizes that the boot disk is a RAID
array and "does the right thing."  I tested my setup by removing the IDE
ribbon cable from each of the boot drive mirrors and the system comes up
clean so I can even say it works based on personal experience.

Cheers,
Dave