devfs

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Aug 11 05:30:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 06:42:25PM -0700, Frank Chen wrote:
 > Due to a problem we are having with USB cold plugging,
 > I am exploring the possibility of using the old devfs.
 >
 > Is it possible to move Fedora 4 to a custom kernel
 > including devfs?

devfs is being removed upstream. In the current kernel,
the config option is no longer there. next release,
unless theres a compelling reason, the whole code is
being ripped out.

 > Would there be conflicts between devfs and udev/hotplug?

probably. plus you'd have to deal with various /dev nodes
having their devfs names rather than the names various
bits of userspace expect.

 > Will devfs create an entry under /dev/usb for a hot
 > plugged USB device? Will devfs always create an entry
 > for cold plugged USB device?

Don't know. The correct solution is to find out why
udev isn't doing what you expect it to do, and fix that.

		Dave