OT: Should I learn bash/C/python/perl/other

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 10:24:06 UTC 2005

While this is not specific to Fedora, I see the need to learn to give
instructions to my computer. I know a little php, and want to know
what language is similar enough that a non-techie like myself can get
things going. My specific goal right now is to create a program that
manipulatres the IPTC data in photos. I have already written most of
it in php, but I think that starting up apache and a browser just to
rename some IPTC fields is a little overkill.

Would bash be enough for this? I think that I would prefer a 'real'
programming language, something that I may be able to do more with in
the future. I don't want to do anything unusual, such as run php from
the command line, because I want to develop skills that will help me
on the vast majority of machines out there, not just my specific
setup.

Thanks for all your input!

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/303/led_zeppelin.php