OT: Should I learn bash/C/python/perl/other

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 11:10:38 UTC 2005

On 8/11/05, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> You do know that PHP has a command-line mode, and you don't need a
> browser or server to use it, right?
>
> Paul.

Yes, I know that. But I am looking for something more flexible,
something more oriented for file manipulation and similar stuff, not
for creating just text output, which is the goal of php.

I 'could' get away with what I am doing now in php, but I intend to
use linux for a long time, and I want to know how to give it my own
instructions, not just run a program that someone else wrote to solve
her specific problem. I find that to be able to really _use_ the
computer I must know how to speak it's language, to give it commands.
I went googleing to figure out what language I must speak to the
computer, and found many. So I thought that I'd ask here, what is a
prefered language? I want something that I will be able to use on
other machines as well, which is another reason why I don't want to
use php, as not many home machines have it installed.

Furthering my research, it would seem that perl is good for this, as
it appears to be installed in many more machines than python. Or
should I go with C? lso, as I understand it, if I write in C I can
compile for both windows and linux. Is that correct?

Dotan
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/155/depeche_mode.php
Depeche Mode Song Lyrics