Run graphical program from crontab

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Thu Aug 11 16:08:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 10:27 +0200, Mattia wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to solve a problem, but I can't guess the solution: I have
> written a small program, with a graphical interface, and I would like to
> launch it from the crontab, so that it would appear on my desktop.
> I've tried to put it into the system-wide crontab (/etc/crontab) or in
> the user-specific crontab (crontab -e) but with no success: the program
> is executed, but it doesn't appear in my graphical interface.
>
> I'v tried also to launch the program from a bash script, which is then
> executed from thr crontab. This is the script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
>
> /home/esperimenti/tcltk/test3.tcl >> /root/output 2>> /root/errori
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> Mattia

I don't think crond is really intended to start things that are
interactive.  It is intended to schedule "recurring tasks" that should
occur on some schedule irregardless of someone being logged in, so the
intent is that it not interact with the desktop....

To me it sounds more like you want something to start automatically when
you start your X-based desktop?  If that is the case, you could place
the script you developed into the directory /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/
and it should run whenever anyone starts their X desktop....

HTH,

--Rob