(no subject)

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Thu Aug 11 16:43:49 UTC 2005

I've just had an strange thing with Adapted 2200 RAID controller (with optional
battery module installed).

Basically, new card, worked perfectly for weeks, several reboots and stuff.
Then all the sudden, when I rebooted machine today, system would simply freeze
during boot.  BIOS showed the card initialized properly, kernel module was
loaded (from initrd) and it found all of the arrays, and then the system would
freeze at "initializing hardware: storage" step.  Booting in rescue mode would
freeze just after kernel was loaded.  Opened box, unplugged the card, booted
without it, system works.  Plugged it back in, and now everything works
perfectly again!?

Most likely it's not "baddly plugged card".  I've visually checked for that, the
card was seated properly in PCI slot.  Both the motherboard and card are just
weeks old, so I would rule out oxydation on the connectors (and visually,
connectors (both on card and the slot) are shiny and clean).  Anyhow, BIOS
initialization was fine, and BIOS utilities worked perfectly.  Device driver
behaving strangly?

Anybody else saw the same problem, or even better yet, knows of an solution? ;-)