transfer master Windows DNS to slave BIND DNS

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 19:15:31 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 13:33, M E Fieu wrote:
> Hi..I want to configure a slave BIND DNS to automatically get the master zone abc.com update from
> a windows DNS server (172.16.1.42).  Below is the my /etc/named.conf file.
>
> more /etc/named.conf
> zone "abc.com" in {
> type slave;
> file "db.abc";
> masters { 172.16.1.42; };
> allow-transfer { any; };
> allow-query { any;};
> notify yes;
> };
>
> Is that correct? Can BIND get the update from Windows DNS?

The windows server has to be configured to allow the zone transfer
request to come from the linux server address.

> I have question on the zone file db.abc, since this is a slave DNS zone, do I have to create this
> file by myself or it will auto copy the info from the windows DNS master?  Then where this file
> supposed to be if I need to creat it or auto-created during transfer?

It will be auto-created in the directory mentioned near the top of the
named.conf file, if named has write permission there (allowing for any
chroot mentioned in /etc/sysconfig/named).

> How do I verify the master zone record being transfered to here?

Look at the contents of the file.  You'll also see the transfer or
failure logged in /var/log/messages.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com