FC4 and external hard drive (USB)

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 11 20:22:25 UTC 2005

Robin Laing wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>> Interesting idea. What is your cabling setup? How do you power?
>> In my experience, modern drives don't have much problems with
>> heat, unless they are exercised a lot. I have a USB drive which
>> is covered in papers on my desk, and it never gets very hot.
>>
>> USB 2 is not all that slow, however.
>>
>> Mike
>

> I went through a similar case this week.  Needed to get a bigger drive.
>   I purchased a new drive and installed a clean version of FC4.
> Transfered all my data using the HD ribbon cable (Case won't support two
> drives) and then installed the old 60gig HD into a generic external case.
>
> The only problem I had was that Western Digitals must be set for Cable
> Select to have the case work with the drive.  I also hate the large blue
> LED illuminate bar on the case as it provides more light than the
> background light in my office.

Why must they be set to CS? And why is that a problem? I agree that
CS is decidely inferior to M/S setup, but what is the particular
problem? Wrong drive trying to be master because of where it is
on the cable? If so, yes, that is a major drawback to CS.

I find that cutting one leg of the LED with a pair of
dikes makes it much less bright.

> Automounts both partitions in /media/

Whatever floats your boat. I use /mnt, but I don't automount
USB drives.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.