FC4 and external hard drive (USB)

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Aug 11 20:49:25 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>
>> Mike McCarty wrote:

<snip>

>> The only problem I had was that Western Digitals must be set for Cable
>> Select to have the case work with the drive.  I also hate the large
>> blue LED illuminate bar on the case as it provides more light than the
>> background light in my office.
>

> Why must they be set to CS? And why is that a problem? I agree that
> CS is decidely inferior to M/S setup, but what is the particular
> problem? Wrong drive trying to be master because of where it is
> on the cable? If so, yes, that is a major drawback to CS.

Actually the carrier (Macally) instructions advise to use M/S except for
Western Digital drives.  I had set to master but the carrier and
partitions were not recognized.  After getting all my data moved and the
system working I changed the drive to CS and it worked like a dream.
The manufacturer ssupport site advised to use the "default" for WD
drives.  I guess it is now CS.

> I find that cutting one leg of the LED with a pair of
> dikes makes it much less bright.

I really do not like BLUE LED's.  Of course I do not like blue high beam
indicators either.  I find them to be real pain.  I may add a resistor
to see if I can dim the display to a more pleasing level or change the
LED to red which is my preference.

>> Automounts both partitions in /media/
>

> Whatever floats your boat. I use /mnt, but I don't automount
> USB drives.

I just did some tests and I have to admit, for my usage, the automount
is going to be the best option.  At least it allows the drives to be
released when someone else logs in.  I just tested it in FC4 and it
works like a dream.  No more calls because my kid mounted a CD and my
wife cannot eject it.

--
Robin Laing