FC4 Install GRUB Load Error

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 12 15:26:06 UTC 2005

Chris Kirk wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I just recently, well yesterday actually installed FC4 on my old PC. I
> downloaded the iso files and burned them to a disk and did all the
> checks and they all passed.
>
> I installed it as a Desktop and just did the default settings because
> I am pretty new at this sort of stuff. I have an HP system that has
> the auto-partitioned system with a D: recovery drive. When installing
> FC4 I selected to do an automatic thing and just remove my Windows
> drive so I believe it should have wiped that all out.
>
> It said it did the install successfully and it did the post
> installation stuff and everything and then told me to take out the CD
> and hit reboot. I did so and then it loaded a blakc screen with a
> white text saying
>
> GRUB Loading stage2...
> and a blinking _ on the next line.
>
> I turned off the PC and turned it back on only to have the same problem.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions at all please let me know as I am
> totally lost to this!
>
> Thanks in advance!

It looks like you have an incomplete GRUB install. You should
have a directory on /boot/grub/ which contains stage2 and a
grub.conf file.

Reboot from any recovery CD and see whether you can find those files.
If you can, then perhaps you are having a disc I/O problem. If you
cannot, then you have an installation problem. Search around and
see whether you have a directory somewhere on disc with those
files. If you can find them, put a copy of everything in that
directory into /boot/grub and try again.

HTH

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.