file system with errors

Peter Lesterhuis peterlesterhuis at tiscali.nl
Fri Aug 12 16:15:58 UTC 2005

Hi,
While working on a desktop running fc3 the screen suddenly froze. Trying
to restart the machine failed.
A filesystem check occurs and then the next message is displayed:

control root filesystem
/ contains a filesystem with errors, check forced. CEST 20 [OK]
Duplicate or bad block in use!
/: duplicate/bad block in inode 2173802: 4386295   4386295

After this message the starting process hangs. After hitting "enter" it
tries to restart.
Would anyone know of a way to repair this? Or should I do a re-install
(which I do not like very much because then I loose settings and some
unimportant data). I've absolutely no idea what caused the error.
Peter.