FC4 - File selection dialog question

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Aug 12 17:06:55 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I finally have FC4 installed and running but I have come across one
>> major headache.  It may be gnome related so I will have to check the
>> gnome site as I hope for an answer.
>>
>> I go to open a file or change a setting but I don't have the ability
>> to type in the file location and only access to point and click.
>>
>> In some cases, I have ".name" directories setup and I need to get
>> access to them but I don't have the ability and I don't want the
>> default installation to display them.
>>
>> Also, for many tasks, typing in the location is much quicker that
>> point and click through a whole list of displays.
>>
>> How can I configure the file load/save dialogs to allow me to type in
>> the paths/file names.  This is presently affecting my usage of FC4 as
>> I cannot access the files I need to.
>

> Try pressing Ctrl-L when you get the file selection dialog.
>
> Paul.

Thank you.

I just found that out deep in the gnome site.  Of course I wasn't
looking for "Location Bar".  Now to find out how to get the location bar
to be on the window at all times.  Now where are those files?

I am glad I went to FC4 at work before doing it at home.  My wife would
have killed me.  At least I will have some experience.
--
Robin Laing