emacs and X resources

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Fri Aug 12 19:36:34 UTC 2005

On Friday, Aug 12th 2005 at 14:50 -0400, quoth Braden McDaniel:

=>Since installing Fedora Core 4 (over Fedora Core 3, where this was working),
=>emacs seems to ignore X resources (as set in ~/.Xresources). Anyone know why
=>this might be? My ~/.emacs is the default one.
=>
=>Braden

I just ran editres on my box and it looks like the instance has changed
from emacs to emacs-x. That would break your resource file. The best
solution (besides using the new instance name) is to specify using the
classname which is still Emacs.

Also, I've had better luck creating a a local app-default directory and
pointing to it with XUSERFILESEARCHPATH. Then I populate the directory
with files whose name are the classnames of the clients. It's so much
easier than using .Xresources.

steveo at syslang.net