How to run rcp over crossover cable on crude network configuration

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 01:59:55 UTC 2005

On 8/12/05, lin q <linq936 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any simple way to set up for rcp to run? I prefer not to bother
> about those dauting services like domain name resolution, you can see that
> my application is only a copy over crossover cable.

rcp has been deprecated and not installed by default for some time.
Unless you specifically installed "legacy network services" during the
initial install, you don't have the requisite servers installed (or if
you did install them, they're probably turned off or firewalled).

You could set up a passphrase-less ssh key and use scp between the two
servers, or use Samba or NFS or any number of other protocols (even
http!) rather than rsh/rcp.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves