FC4 Install GRUB Load Error

Chris Kirk kirk.chris at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 09:24:15 UTC 2005

On 8/13/05, David Niemi <drn_temp2 at rogers.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 20:48 -0700, Chris Kirk wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > No I did not actually move it I just copied the files. I even did a
> > full reinstall of FC4 and got nothing working.
> >
> > The computer I am on right now does not have a floppy drive so I went
> > out and bought a floppy usb and I am creating the GRUB boot floppy
> > disk and I will let you know if that works.
> >
> > Thanks for your help so far!
> >
> > -Chris
>
> As was mentioned it just seems that grub didn't install properly.  Boot
> the rescue CD / DVD with the "linux rescue" command.
>
> Once booted type "chroot /mnt/sysimage".  Now the root directory referes
> to your install, not the ramdrive.  Change directory to /boot/grub and
> check to see if the stage2 and grub.conf files exist as was mentioned.

Hey,

That does exist. I got a GRUB bootdisk from floppy from the
LinuxForums.org Tutorial on GRUB about booting it up. So I got GRUB
running from the Floppy and ran the following cmds from grub>
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
and
initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4.img
and then
boot

And it started up successfully!

Yet when I take out the floppy and just try and boot from the Hard
Drive It just loads the black screen with the writing
GRUB Loading stage1.5

Thanks!

-Chris