OK guys - yum is "too smart"

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sat Aug 13 09:49:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 23:12 -0700, jdow wrote:
> From: "Phil Schaffner" <P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org>
>
> > On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 18:43 -0700, jdow wrote:
> >> From: "Claude Jones" <claude_jones at levitjames.com>

> > By "other means" do you mean as a tarball-build, or otherwise not an RPM
> > package?

> >> Yeah, but then I also have to exclude evolution. There should be a way to
> >> force things to be "my way". {^_-}
> >
> > Doesn't sound easy.  How about this?  Evolution requires spamassassin,
> > but no particular version.  You could perhaps package your version of
> > spamassassin as an RPM (assuming it is not already), giving it a higher
> > version # (or perhaps epoch) than the FC version, and put it in a local
> > yum repo.  That would make yum happy about your spamassassin but let it
> > update evolution.  Here's my repo entry for such a setup:
> >
> > [prs at tabb1 ~]$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/local.repo
> > [local]
> > name=Local YUM Repository
> > baseurl=file:/usr/local/fedora/$releasever/local/$basearch/
> > enabled=1
> > gpgcheck=0
>
> At the moment I am using spamassassin with some enhancements from CPAN.
> I expect soon to be using 3.10-rc<something> instead. (One of the SARE
> rule ninjas uses the machine.) So I need the flexibility. I also noticed
> that when I first brought Fedora 4 up the one feature that was terminally
> crapped out was, tada, spamassassin. I already had a very well behaved
> 3.04 from the Mandrake I used for awhile. Unfortunately I had to force
> feed SPF and DNS tests since what was present with Fedora Core 4 was
> in one case absent and in the other case broken.
>
> It looks like yum is indeed "too smart" and I will have to go back to
> manually downloading evolution and installing it nodeps. I'd been hoping
> to avoid that step.

You can avoid this :-)

Try installing the attached .noarch.rpm (the SRPM is provided for the
amusement of anyone wanting to know how it works, and of course to
satisfy the GPL...). That should satisfy the dependency requirement in
evolution and allow you to continue using yum with no exclusions.

I have packages of Mail::SPF::Query and Net::DNS in my own repo at
http://www.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/yum-repo/fc4/ btw.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>