FC4 Install GRUB Load Error

Chris Kirk kirk.chris at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 10:02:45 UTC 2005

On 8/13/05, David Niemi <drn_temp2 at rogers.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 02:24 -0700, Chris Kirk wrote:

> > > As was mentioned it just seems that grub didn't install properly.  Boot
> > > the rescue CD / DVD with the "linux rescue" command.
> > >
> > > Once booted type "chroot /mnt/sysimage".  Now the root directory referes
> > > to your install, not the ramdrive.  Change directory to /boot/grub and
> > > check to see if the stage2 and grub.conf files exist as was mentioned.
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > That does exist. I got a GRUB bootdisk from floppy from the
> > LinuxForums.org Tutorial on GRUB about booting it up. So I got GRUB
> > running from the Floppy and ran the following cmds from grub>
> > kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> > and
> > initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4.img
> > and then
> > boot
> >
> > And it started up successfully!
> >
> > Yet when I take out the floppy and just try and boot from the Hard
> > Drive It just loads the black screen with the writing
> > GRUB Loading stage1.5
> So, grub appears to be installed but not working properly. I don't know
> much about that particular error.
>
> Boot into linux using either your rescue CD or the boot disk. If you
> booted into x-windows with the boot cd, log in as the user you created,
> preferably not root at this point in time. If you booted using the CD
> skip the next paragraph.
>
> Open a terminal window and type "su -" and give your root password, to
> become temporarily the superuser.
>
> Type "cd /boot/root" and type "grub" and you will now be at the "grub>"
> prompt.  Now issue the command "root (hd0,0)" to tell grub where it's
> root device is installed to.
>
> Next type "setup (hd0)" to install grub to the MBR. Now type "quit" to
> exit grub.  Check that your grub.conf file refers to (hd0) with similar
> lines to what you had above by typing "cat grub.conf".  Now hopefully it
> should boot from the hard drive.
>
> If you need to copy the grub files back to the /boot/grub directory of
> your install, the original files should be located in a directory off
> of /usr/share/grub/ depending on your install.

Hey,

Thanks for trying to help but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I
did like you said, I had FC4 booted up from the floppy with GRUB in it
and opened a Terminal Window.

I su - to root and put in the root password, and then did
cd /boot
grub
got the grub>
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0,0)
hit ctrl c and then did
cd grub
cat grub.conf
and the grub.conf file looked just like I think it should.

I think I may have an idea on what may be causing it. When I load GRUB
from the floppy it does GRUB Loading stage2..........................
But then when I takeout the floppy and try and load GRUB from the
harddrive it says
GRUB Loading stage1.5.

Do you have any idea on how to switch the harddrive grub to run
stage2? Or any other ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks so much for your help so far!

-Chris