OT: Should I learn bash/C/python/perl/other

Justin Willmert justin at jdjlab.com
Sun Aug 14 03:46:54 UTC 2005

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 8/12/05, Justin Willmert <justin at jdjlab.com> wrote:
>
>>Four years ago when I wanted to start my programming career (at 12...and
>>I find I can think more clearly now. How did I ever get by back then???
>>Anyways...), my grandma had me call my uncle since he was a programmer
>>for a very successful firm, and he suggested to me I start with Visual
>>Basic, and then move on to C/C++. Now, knowing that this is a Linux
>>mailing list and that most will not want to go with MS products (as I
>>can fully understand. Linux is a lot easier on the checkbook), I think
>>I'll only give points I think you should work with, and not a certain
>>language.
>>
>> From my experience with learning many different languages, I'd say that
>>the most difficult thing I've ever had to get my head wrapped around was
>>the pointer in C/C++. Since there is a very small chance you'd ever be
>>able to write anything complex without them, you need to have a firm
>>understanding of how they work, and once you get it into your head, it
>>is pretty easy, but I didn't think the path there was _very_ unpleasant.
>>With this, my suggestion here would be to find a language that will do
>>more memory management for you, so you don't have to worry about the
>>pointer work.
>>
>>Another thing I think you should look for is a language that is built
>>for users who want a fast development process, rather than the
>>performance oriented (generally speaking. I don't want to be bashed for
>>the reason for/against this. I'm just giving _my_ opinion). For example,
>>in VB (sorry again for the MS reference, but that's where my roots lie),
>>everything was built for ease of use. You get introduced to variable
>>types, objects (though in a mangled form when you think of conventional
>>OO programming), general structure/flow of a program, and the thought
>>process needed to look at code and realize how the parts will interact,
>>and with all the behind-the-scenes work, you can show dialogs with one
>>simple function call. This keeps you from some of the dirtier (but more
>>powerful and better performing) pointers, multiple inheritance, and
>>polymorphism.
>>
>>If you want some more of my experiences, I'd be happy to give you some
>>more, but I thought I'd try to keep this email from becoming too long
>>and I still want to give one more suggestion.
>>
>>OK, I lied earlier when I said I won't point to a specific language.
>>While I was writing this, I realized that I'd actually gotten some
>>experience from another source before I began programming (in my
>>definition). I'd actually been making web pages for a year before that,
>>but I did dabble in JavaScript, and though I didn't understand much of
>>it back then, it did come in very handy when it came time for me to
>>learn the loops and if/else statements in C++ because I recognized the
>>general syntax.

> [...]

Dotan,

I'm glad to here I was a help to you. As a little side comment, I
thought C++ would be a couple more years in the future when I just
suddenly took up learning it. I bet you gravitate towards learning C/C++
before you know it.

Start out with realistic expectations and you'll be happily rewarded.
Happy Coding!
Justin