Logging out changes screen resolution.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 14 06:15:37 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 00:52 +0000, Philip Moller wrote:

> When I log out from KDE and X into textmode (runlevel 3), the screen
> resolution changes to colorsallad.

I see a similar thing, but I'm using Gnome:

As soon as the PC is running in level 5, the text mode virtual consoles
get corrupted in different ways:  Occasionally yellow text on magenta
backgrounds, or more often the usual white text and black background
colours; but always with a blue border, and the first vertical set of
pixels from the text belonging at the left of the screen being on the
right hand side of the screen, right of the 80th column, and above it
(sorry, but I don't know a way to provide a screenshot of a text mode
screen).

Dropping back to run level 3 doesn't help, the damage was done the
moment run level 5 started.  If run level 5 was never started (e.g. I
booted in run level 3 and stayed there) the screen is fine.

> I have a s3virge dx graficcard.
> Runing fc4 on a dell Optiplex GX110.

Mine's an on-board i810 (very low spec, I know, but a bog standard
chipset for a very long time), built into a Gigabyte 6WMMC7 motherboard
(which has no AGP slot for a upgrading to a more decent graphic card).
And it runs fine with Red Hat 9.0 and Fedora Core 3 Linux.

I read messages from the public lists.