explanation of yum.cron

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Mon Aug 15 02:18:21 UTC 2005

> Message: 10
> Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:56:39 -0500
> From: akonstam at trinity.edu
> Subject: explanation of yum.cron
> To: Fedora-List <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> Would someone save me from my mental anguish. In earlier Fedoras the yum.cron
> was  straightforward but in FC4 it seems to me someone exceeded
> themselves in cleverness in creating a yum.cron such that  I can't
> understand what it will do:
> Can some one help?
> yum.cron
> #!/bin/sh
>
> if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/yum ]; then
>         /usr/bin/yum -R 120 -e 0 -d 0 -y update yum

>From the manpage, the above runs yum to update itself with minimum error
and debug levels (to be quiet) and to execute sometime within 120
minutes of executing the command.  Makes sense that you want the latest
yum before you update.  And it also makes sense that you want to
randomize hits to your yum repos, which the -R 120 will try to do.

> 	        /usr/bin/yum -R 10 -e 0 -d 0 -y shell /etc/yum/yum-daily.yum

This then runs yum to run again, accepting the default yes answers (-y)
and to do this at some random time within ten minutes of executing the
command. Again it's quiet.

I tried this at the command line.

yum -y shell

opens up a new shell inside yum.  Try it, it's cool.  From there you get
a secondary prompt ">" at which you can issue yum commands like update
and ts run.  That sounds pretty cool for doing a lot of yum stuff at
once (like searches)
The last, exit, exits the shell and the command.  I can't see what this
does that

	/usr/bin/yum -R 10 -e 0 -d 0 -y update

wouldn't do.  My only guess is that somehow it's faster than loading yum
each time you want to do a yum command.  But I can't find anything that
tells me what 'ts run' does inside yum.

Maybe it's an undocumented feature in yum?

Erik