FC3 Install Problem

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 15 06:21:59 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Celeron 2.1 GHz with two Western Digital 80GB drives.
>
> This machine has been running Win NT 4.0 Service Pack 6
> for a couple of years with no problems. Recently,
> the first disc was wiped and reformatted as 40GB FAT32
> and the rest unallocated. Windows 98 was installed in
> the first (and only) partition.
>
> I booted Kanotix (Knoppix variant) and
>
> # fdisk -l
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 80GB, 80026361856 byte
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9727 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065*512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device  Boot   Start  End  Blocks   Id System
> /dev/hda1   *         1  4865 39078181  c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 80GB, 80026361856 byte
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9727 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065*512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device  Boot   Start  End  Blocks   Id System
> /dev/hda1   *         1  9729 78148161  7  HPFS/NTFS
>
> I reboot, using the FC3 install disc 1, and test all media.
> All complete test, and pass.
> Select English Language, Selece U.S. English keyboard
>
> A message box pops up with a blue bar in the top with
> the word "Bug" in it. In the bottom part is the text:
>
> Assertion (heads < 256) at disk_dos.c:486 in function
> probe_partition_for_geom() failed.
>
> There are two clickable buttons, one saying "Ignore" and the
> other "Fail" (I think, I'm sure about the "Ignore").
>
> I click "Ignore" and another comes up. So I click "Ignore"
> a total of four (4) times, and am asked whether I wish
> to auto parition or manual. I select manual, so Anaconda
> will show me what it thinks the disc setup is, and I get then
> have to "Ignore" the same message six (6) more times.
>
> Then I get a description of the disc from Disk Druid's
> point of view.
>

> Drive /dev/hda  (76317 MB) (Model: WDC800BB-00DAA3)
>
>   Free
>   76316 MB
>
> Drive /dev/hdb (76317 MB) (Model: WDC8007B-00CRA10
>
>   hdb1
>   76316 MB
>

>    Device      type       size    start    end
> /dev/hda
>    /dev/hda    vfat       38162       1   4865
>    Free        Free space 76319       1   9730
>
> /dev/hdb
>    dev/hdb1    ntfs       76317       1   9729
>

> So, it appears that Disc Druid thinks that the
> unallocated and the allocated space overlap. It
> also seems to think that the unallocated space
> is larger than the whole drive.
>
> As a note, before I started all this, I ripped the MBR
> from the first disc and stored it in a file on a floppy,
> using
>
> # dd bs=512 count=1 if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/floppy/mbr.bin
>
> I then transferred the floppy to a handy Windows machine,
> and used debug to look at it. It had the 0x55 0xAA boot
> signature on it, and a cursory look at the disassembly
> looked like startup code, and the strings present in it
> looked like reasonable error messages from an MBR
> about invalid partition tables, etc.
>
> I don't have that floppy here, but I can get it, and
> [...]

Type that error in to google. This is a problem I've had on two occasions.

There's a recursive partitioning command I can't remember I think based
on sfdisk that re-sets the partition geometry.

I haven't kept it, but each time the search on google pulled up the
right advice.

On each occasion it's fixed the problem for me.

Regards,
Ed.