Yum socket time out FC4

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Aug 15 07:38:30 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 14:48 -0400, Thomas wrote:
> Yum, Yumex, Up2date give up too easily!
> Socket time out, and they START OVER with another server!
>
> After considerable trial and error, I believe these changes fix this
> problem.
> Yum, et.al as shipped with fedora core v4 would not run over dial up,
> reliably.
> It would report socket time out during download, and START OVER with
> another server.
>
> Making these changes in the file /etc/yum.conf seems to have fixed the
> problem.
> retries=0
> throttle=4k
> bandwidth=5.6k
> Remember, this is over dialup.

I'd suggest raising an RFE in bugzilla suggesting that entries like
these be added (commented out perhaps, with a note that the settings may
be useful for dialup users) to the stock yum.conf.

> Also, as shipped, FC4 includes the line:
> mirrorlist=http://download.redhat.com  - - - yada. yada. yada
> in the files listed under /etc/yum.repos.d.
>
> I believe it is NOT necessary to download the list of mirrors and then
> try each one. Why attempt to download a large binary file from some
> server half way around the planet? Especially if you have a mirror
> across the street!

This is done so that if everybody uses the default configuration with no
changes (as many people will probably do), the load is spread evenly
over all of the mirrors.

> So place a hash mark "#" at the beginning of any line beginning with
> mirrorlist= disable yum from downloading the mirror list.
> You can find this mirror list at
> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

Or you could use a mirrorlist specific to your region. Select from the
ones available at:
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/

Paul.
--