problems starting oocalc and any OOorg apps in FC4 with nfs4 mounted home dir

Alastair Neil ajneil at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 22:26:58 UTC 2005

what is happening:
any openoffice app starts to load, displays the splash screen, however the
progress bar is never displayed and the
app hangs indefinitely. A strace ends in:

read(255, "\n# set path so that other apps c"..., 4800) = 264
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [INT CHLD], [], 8) = 0
_llseek(255, -58, [4742], SEEK_CUR) = 0
clone(child_stack=0, flags=CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID|CLONE_CHILD_SETTID|SIGCHLD,
child_tidptr=0xb7f48a28) = 5264
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [CHLD], [], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [CHLD], [], 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {0x80760d4, [], 0}, {SIG_DFL}, 8) = 0
waitpid(-1,

 what seems to have precipitated it:
this was a test, the home directory was originally local in /home/ajn, then
I was experimenting with automounting via nfs4 gss/krb5
for a while I was running with a local home directory /ahome/ajn and
automounting on /home/. I did notice some openoffice apps
attempting to open files in /home/ajn when I had changed my home directory
to /ahome/ajn. It looks to me like openoffice is storing
some state information as absolute paths - which seems wrong to me, it
certainly bites you if you move your home directory.

Currently the home directory is the automounted /home/ajn and I cannot run
any openoffice apps. Does anyone have any pointers
as to what dotfiles I need to blow away?

thanks Alastair