cluster software without need for external disk subsystem

Garry Harthill gazzerh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 08:27:16 UTC 2005

On 16/08/05, Hanny Tidore <htfrontier at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently using 2 dell servers as cluster with RHCS version 3
> (using dell powervault). No GFS.
> I am trying to setup a linux cluster (preferably with RHEL) without
> using any disk subsystem for a test environment.
> At this moment, I am looking at openmosix. I wonder if this is the
> best solution right now.
>
> On 8/16/05, Garry Harthill <gazzerh at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 15/08/05, Hanny Tidore <htfrontier at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is there any cluster solution out there that does not need a separate
> > > disk subsystem. I am currently using Redhat Cluster Suite and it uses
> > > a separate disk subsystem for quorum and shared folder.
> > > My purpose is more for testing environment.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > > Hanny
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > What version of RCS are you using? How many nodes will you be
> > configuring? I'm quite sure you can cluster one node with version 3 -
> > otherwise you need three nodes. Version 4 allows two node clusters.
> > Are you using GFS also?
> >
> > --

I don't think RHCS 3 supports 2 node clusters. It needs to be an odd
amount to avoid split brain situations. If you intend running a 2 node
cluster then you will need to run cluster services v4 which runs on
RHEL4.

I can't see how you would cluster without a shared array though. A
quorum is essential for the nodes to communicate and store shared
cluster configuration.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/cluster-suite/ch-hardware.html
These are the hardware requirements for a cluster.