YUM Updates

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Aug 16 12:37:48 UTC 2005

Shamim Haider wrote:

> I am trying to update my kernel but when it reaches downloading kernel
> it is giving error ? cannot download from this site ,
> even though it has downloaded rest of the dependencies.(THe snap shots
> of diff files are below )
>
> Also when ever we r using yum updates command
> it fetches command from developement repositories ? which is a
> rawhide ???I am not very comfortable with this ?
>
> BUt when I am enabling downloading from other files
> in /yum.repos.d/fedora.updates
> its giving same error as cannot find the site and bla bla
> I am copying different files in /etc/yum.repos.d
> can u pls try them and let me know ,to make them work we need to make
> enabled=1
>

> [base]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
> mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever
> enabled=0
> gpgcheck=1

This should have "enabled=1", not "enabled=0".

> [updates-released]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
> #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
> mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc$releasever
> enabled=0
> gpgcheck=1

This should have "enabled=1", not "enabled=0".

> [development]
> #These packages are untested and still under development. This
> #repository is used for updates to test releases
> #This repository can see significant daily turn over and can see major
> #functionality changes which cause unexpected problems with other
> #development packages. Please use these packages if you want to work
> #with the fedora Developers by testing these new development packages.
> #
> #fedora-test-list mailinglist is available as a discussion forum for
> #testing and troubleshooting for development packages.
> #
> #Reportable issues should be filed at bugzilla.redhat.com
> #Product: Fedora Core
> #Version: devel
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
> #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$basearch/
> mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-rawhide
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=0

This file is shipped with enabled=0 so you must have changed that
yourself. You are right to be wary of using packages from rawhide and I
would strongly advise you to set it back to "enabled=0".

If you are still having trouble with yum after making these changes,
please post:

* the output of "yum update"
* the region of the world you are in
* what type of Internet connection you have (e.g. cable, DSL, dialup)

Paul.