Network

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 16 13:53:31 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 09:09 +0400, Javier Ochoa wrote:

> Does anybody know how to make all my media players (mp3,avi,vob) run
> files directly from a network?... xmms, Mplayer, Xen...already work
> properly with files in my PC.  Thanks for your help.

Yes & no.  NO, I don't know enough about your network to advise, and
neither does anybody else here.  You need to provide more details

Yes, I do know how to do it with mine.  I map the networked resource
into the Linux directory tree, and my media players don't care whether
they're reading files from the local hard drive, or over the network
connection (so long as it's fast enough).

When mapping drives, either make sure that you mount the thing with
yourself as the owner, or make it readable by everyone, or make it
readable to a group of users that you belong to.

I read messages from the public lists.