blacklisting by SORBS

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 16 18:50:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 12:07, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Scot L. Harris wrote:

> > The vast bulk of spam can be blocked using a combination of greylisting
> > and spamassassin.  These are not controlled by any central authority so
> > there is no chance of a central authority causing problems.
>
> SpamAssassin does of course use third-party lists in its scoring though,
> but a listing in just one list is unlikely to cause a rejection.
>
> Paul.

Only if you use the network checks.  Personally I use bayes and selected
rule sets from the rules emporium.  I found network checks when enabled
slows the processing of email to much for my taste.  :)

But in combination with greylisting spamassassin does not have to
examine very many messages.  95 to 98% of spam messages are rejected by
greylisting leaving very few for spamassassin to examine.  This actually
resolved one problem I saw on a system running spamassassin only, I
would occasionally get spam storms with so many messages coming in the
email server would almost get swamped trying to run spamassassin
checks.  Now the server mostly idles since the over head of spamassassin
has been off loaded.