Veritas Backup Exec Linux Agents and Fedora C3/4

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Tue Aug 16 19:16:02 UTC 2005

> There is a Linux client agent for Backup Exec. On the site it claims
> compatibility with RHEL3.
>
> Has anyone got this client agent working with either Fedora C3 or C4?
> Also, how exactly does the agent work. Does it require exports or
> samba shares or can it backup an entire mount point eg "/"? Can you
> choose any files or directories for the backup. I have googled all
> this but information is thin on the ground unless you want pricing for
> purchasing it.

[Tim Holmes]
Hi:

I have the backup exec 10 agent running on FC3, It was a pain on FC2,
but is pretty much shake the box on FC3 -- just had to change a couple
ports and reset the ports on the server.  Contact me off list for
specifics if you want them.

Over all -- I am significantly LESS than happy with veritas in general
and their tech support in specific.   Again -- contact me directly for
specifics.

As far as the functionality of the agent -- once installed it seems to
work nicely on FC3, I haven't played with FC4 at all, so I don't know
about that.  It can back up mount points etc without any problems, and
you don't need to work over samba shares.  Once you get it going, it
seems to work ok.

TIM