FC2 with HP DESKJET 870 Problem

Klaasjan Brand klaasjan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 20:18:56 UTC 2005

On 8/16/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Klaasjan Brand wrote:
> > Acrobat 5 for Linux is a bit buggy. It may not always work exactly
> > like you want. Acrobat 7 is a lot better regarding stability, features
> > etc. It also eats a lot more memory.
> Thanks for that info. I'll go look for Acrobat 7, and install. If it
> eats too much memory, I can always fall back. Something that works,
> even if it causes lots of paging to virtual, is better than something
> which doesn't work :-)

Of course, although I did not buy 2Gb for a PDF reader ;)

> > The FC2 distribution is since the release of FC4 officially
> > unmaintained. Unless you've got a very good reason to stick with FC2
> > it's better to upgrade to FC4.
> I am aware of that, and have switched to Legacy. Thanks for the info.
> I have what seem like good reasons to me not to switch, yet. :)

Feel free to bring your reason up on this list if it's got anything to
do with Fedora ;)

> > As a last request: checklists of bugs or missing features are
> > valuable. In fact, they are so valuable you don't just want to send
> > them to some mailing list, but also enter them into the Red Hat or
> > Gnome bugzilla systems. It really increases the odds of bugs being
> > fixed for the next release ;)
> Since I am a software developer myself, I recognize the value.
> I am, however, a newbie to FC (been using *NIX systems for
> about 15 years, but not FC, and not administering). If you know
> where/how I could report these, and can offer advice on which ones
> are useful (for example, if the GNOME PDF Viewer is retired, then
> there is no point in filing reports against it), then I'd be glad
> to do whatever will help.

You're probably right about the Gnome PDF viewer (although I believe
it uses the ghostscript rastering engine which is still shipped with
Fedora).
Bugs for Red Hat/Fedora products can be entered at:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
You need to create an account, but it's worth it. The Gnome project
has its own bugtracker at http://bugzilla.gnome.org
Bugzilla can be a bit difficult to use, but since you've got developer
experience I'm sure you are able to work with it.

Klaasjan