Still no wireless network on my laptop

Daniel Normolle monk at umich.edu
Tue Aug 16 23:13:56 UTC 2005

Johan Lozano wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 16:33 -0400, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday 16 August 2005 11:48, Johan Lozano wrote:
>>
>>>hi all,
>>>
>>>i am trying to install a wireless nic on my acer aspire 5024 wlmi
>>>without succes.
>>>is someone succeeded in such an attempt and if so how did you do it?
>>
>>>i tried with the original nic a broadcom 4318 with ndiswrapper and the
>>>linuxant way. nothing helps.
>>
>>I've used Broadcom 4318 on a Dell Latitude laptop (built-in NIC) with
>>ndiswrapper and it works just fine.
>>Your last email on saturday shows that ndiswrapper works with your Broadcome
>>4318, ie. you can see the wlan0, all you needed to do was assign an ESSID
>

> there is no way to assign an ESSID to this
> i tried
> iwconfig wlan0 essid mbnet
> iwconfig wlan0 essid "mbnet"
> i tried by the graphical tool
> i inserted manually in the configuration
> file /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5/14E4:4318:1468:0312.5.conf
> i inserted manually in the configuration file
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
> nothing helps
> no manner to get ESSID assigned

How do you know it was not assigned?

Did you try

	/sbin/iwconfig wlan0

You may have somehow set up multiple profiles.  Do you have
files named ifcfg-wlan0 in subdirectories under /etc/networking?
If so, do they have the line:

	ESSID=your-personal-ESSID

If such files are present and they do not have that line,
try correcting them.

dpn