blacklisting by SORBS

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 16 23:43:15 UTC 2005

From: "Scot L. Harris" <webid at cfl.rr.com>

> On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 12:07, Paul Howarth wrote:
>> Scot L. Harris wrote:
>
>> > The vast bulk of spam can be blocked using a combination of greylisting
>> > and spamassassin.  These are not controlled by any central authority so
>> > there is no chance of a central authority causing problems.
>>
>> SpamAssassin does of course use third-party lists in its scoring though,
>> but a listing in just one list is unlikely to cause a rejection.
>>
>> Paul.
>
> Only if you use the network checks.  Personally I use bayes and selected
> rule sets from the rules emporium.  I found network checks when enabled
> slows the processing of email to much for my taste.  :)

I can't use greylisting since I use our ISP's facilities via fetchmail.
So I run with network tests and 40 carefully selected SARE rule sets.
VERY little spam makes it through. And VERY little ham gets mis-labeled.

> But in combination with greylisting spamassassin does not have to
> examine very many messages.  95 to 98% of spam messages are rejected by
> greylisting leaving very few for spamassassin to examine.  This actually
> resolved one problem I saw on a system running spamassassin only, I
> would occasionally get spam storms with so many messages coming in the
> email server would almost get swamped trying to run spamassassin
> checks.  Now the server mostly idles since the over head of spamassassin
> has been off loaded.

If you can do it, Scott is dead right. Greylisting is WONDERFUL,
especially if you do not force EVERY email through the process.

{^_^}