Silly Question - New Login

Lokrin redhat at lokrin.net
Wed Aug 17 10:21:07 UTC 2005

Berna Massingill wrote:

>>> [ snip ]

>>> [ snip ]

>>> Do you remember doing anything special to enable this?  I'm wondering
>>> why this (starting a second session as you described previously from
>>> a GNOME menu) would work for you and not for me.
>

> Update / some mysteries solved:
>
> (*) On my system gdmflexiserver starts a second graphical session, but
> on virtual terminal 9, not 8.
>
> (*) "X :1 -query localhost -once" also does *something* with virtual
> terminal 9, but whatever it is is not a huge success -- I get a blank
> screen with a little "X" in the middle.
>
> (*) The following lines appear in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf:
>
> [xdmcp]
> # Distributions: Ship with this off.  It is never a safe thing to leave
> # out on the net.  Setting up /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny to only
> # allow local access is another alternative but not the safest.
> # Firewalling port 177 is the safest if you wish to have xdmcp on.
> # Read the manual for more notes on the security of XDMCP.
> #Enable=false
>
> I *think*, but I'm not sure, that all of this started working better
> when I changed "#Enable=false" to "Enable=true".  Based on the comments,
> it does seem that "X :1 -query" won't work without this change.
>

> Further questions:
>
> (*) Why do these second X sessions use virtual terminal 9 rather than 8?
>
> (*) Why does "X :1 -query" still not work?
>
> (*) Where is the "-query" option to "X" documented, anyway?  It doesn't
> seem to be in the man page for the "X" command.
>

> -- blm

I haven't been following this thread, but what I use from tty1 (vt1, or
whatever) is the following, which I've got aliased to "startx".  This is
my home computer and it starts out at init level 5 with kde on vt7  This
command logs me in as root on vt8.    My two problems are that I would
prefer KDE over gnome - why, since my default vt7 login is kde, does
this send me to gnome? - and when I log out of the session it stops the
X session on VT8 totally and doesn't give me the option of logging in as
a different user..

startx -- :1 2>devnul &