ATI Radeon 9800

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Wed Aug 17 11:53:48 UTC 2005

On Wed August 17 2005 7:41 am, John Horne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I admit I am no X window/graphics expert, so have little actual
> understanding of these options. However, the standard Fedora core 4
> 'radeon' driver man page talked about locking AGP pages and that this
> could cause problems. I just sort of associated that with this option,
> and tried changing it from on to off. What the heck it couldn't make
> things worse! :-)
>
> I found the lockup problem was with screensavers that prompted me for a
> password. The little window asking for the password popped up, but the
> machine then locked solid. Any screensaver which did not have the
> 'prompt for password' bit worked fine, regardless of whether it as a 2d
> or 3d open-gl screensaver or not. The problem happened under KDE with
> the kdeartwork screensavers ('euphoria' is the one I used), or under
> GNOME with the xscreensavers (from the xscreensavers-gl rpm) using the
> 'fireworks3d' (I think) screensaver.

Well, so far, so good. This is my home machine. I just tried Ctl-Alt-l which
invokes the screen saver and forces a password prompt to re-enter. It worked.
This wasn't working previously. I've just reconfigured the screen savers to
require a password to re-enter in normal operation - I'll have to see if that
fixed that issue as well - previously, the behavior using the Ctl-Alt-l
method and the configuration method tracked each other, which you would
expect. My machine at the office is more problematic, so I'll try that one in
a little while when I get to work.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA