vncserver && gdm extension && FC4 issue

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed Aug 17 11:59:58 UTC 2005

Samuel Díaz García wrote:
> I'm having got a little problem with vncserver under FC4.
> The question are:
>   1) Using "vncserver" && /etc/syscocnfig/vncservers ... how can I force
> the "login screen"?

You can't.  Using /etc/sysconfig/vncservers requires the server to be
configured for a particular user.

I'd suggest using vnc-ltsp-config (from Fedora Extras) to get what you want.

>   2) Using the "vnc extension" (configured as I can see in
> http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/x0.html), what step I need to
> allow direct conections to the server without force "gdm-stop" command?

Never had to do that myself, but I use kdm.  Be warned, I've experienced
many X-lockups when/if enabling the vnc extension, and found it to be
incompatible with the "dri" extension (if it is also loaded).  So if you
want to try the vnc extension, I'd suggest removing/commenting-out dri.

-- Rex