ld incompatible so

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 03:12:51 UTC 2005

On 8/17/05, Gaspar Bakos <gbakos at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to compile mysqltcl(-2.50) under FC3 from tgz, as the stock rpm
> installation on x86_64 does not work ()

How does the FC3 rpm not work?  So I assume you are building on a
64-bit system with FC3 x86_64 and are trying to build mysqltcl in
64-bit.

> After a configure, during the "make", I get the following messages:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libtclstub8.4.a when
> searching for -ltclstub8.4
>
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so
> when searching for -lmysqlclient
>
> I was googling around to find something meaningful. Ideas are welcome...
>
> Cheers,
> Gaspar

Usually you get messages like these when compiling a 64-bit program
and the make files have not been configured properly to look in the
/lib64 and /usr/lib64 paths for 64-bit libraries.  It finds the 32-bit
libraries instead, but you cannot link a 64-bit executable with a
32-bit libraries, thus ld complains about it being incompatible.  So,
to get it to work, you need to tell configure that when building,
libraries can be found in /lib64 and /usr/lib64.

> source:
> http://www.xdobry.de/mysqltcl/mysqltcl-2.50.tar.gz
>
> After rpm installation of the 2.50 version:
> tclsh% couldn't load file "/usr/lib/mysqltcl-2.50/libmysqltcl2.50.so":
> /usr/lib/mysqltcl-2.50/libmysqltcl2.50.so: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory

Is this what is not working with the rpm?  Is this a 64-bit or 32-bit
rpm?  Similarly, if 64-bit, it (whatever produced these messages) is
looking in the wrong place.

Jonathan