NFS Doesn't Exist Error

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Aug 18 06:28:36 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 13:28 +0900, Mark Sargent wrote:
> >Try here:
> >http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-adv/nis.htm
> >
> >For NFS you need the UIDs and GIDs of your regular user accounts to be
> >the same on server and clients. NIS is one way of doing this. In fact
> >it's the "standard" way of doing it because Sun developed NIS and NFS at
> >around the same time.
> >
> >Paul.
> >

> Hi All,
>
> Paul, thanx for the link...coupla questions, though..does this effect
> the current users already on the client.? or, is it only for NFS
> authorization.? I see that at boot, the client machine atempts to find
> the NIS server, so, that's why I was curious about the effect on current
> users...cheers.

It depends on the setting for "passwd" in /etc/nsswitch.conf. If you
have "files nis" then any passwd entry in local files will take
precedence over a same-named entry in NIS. The idea though is that all
your regular user accounts are in NIS and there are no local ones except
for "root" etc.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>