Samba and XP SP2 no love

Information for Huge Designs information at hugedesigns.net
Thu Aug 18 11:12:17 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I am having ALOT of trouble getting samba working a FC4 system I admin.

I have 10 XP SP2 clients all trying to log into the server. If I go to map
network drive I type the shares in like say \\apollo.local\common the
server returns a request for a user name and password but even if I put
the correct password in, it just pops back with user name and password.

In the log files there is one for each machine but they are all empty.
In the smb.log then NMB.log is a littel diffrent it keeps saying
[root at apollo samba]# tail nmbd.log
  *****

  Samba name server APOLLO is now a local master browser for workgroup
MYGROUP on subnet 192.168.11.200

  *****
The MyGROUP is alittle troublesome cause if you look below at the smb.conf
I have clearly named it WORKGROUP

I have checked my smb config with testpram and it works fine the server
starts and is running.

Things I have tried,
Turning off firewalls on both machines
creating new users and adding the users to samba users
creating new groups and adding the users to them

I can ping and telnet from each port nessecary and am really at a loss for
what I might be doing wrong.

any help would be appreciated.

E./
smb.conf

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
        log file = /var/log/samba/smb.log
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
        preserve case = no
        default case = lower
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        domain master = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.11. 127.
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        wins support = yes
        server string = apollo.local
        unix password sync = Yes