Setting up MTA

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 13:27:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 07:15, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> > You need to install the sendmail-cf package, read the configuration
> > README and edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc with your favourite editor.
>
> > Having said that, the default configuration works out of the box for
> > many people.

The default Fedora/RH configuration is intentionally broken so
you can't receive mail from the network.  That can't work for
anyone who runs their own server or even a relay from an
inside net to their ISP's forwarder (that is, anyone who
actually uses mail).

> What would I have to insert in the snedmail.mc file to allow relaying
> only from the machines in the internal network: 192.168.1.* ?

Change:
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
in sendmail.mc
and add
192.168.1    RELAY
to /etc/mail/access.
Then type 'make' in the /etc/mail directory, and restart sendmail.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com