Strange behaviour Firefox?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 18 14:14:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 07:19 -0400, Patrick wrote:
> While working on a new website, I came acoss something strange with Firefox...
>
> Please take a look at the picture from this link:
> http://img41.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc58ℑ=3d0_overview.jpeg

With a spam filled page like that I don't even want to try and think
about what on the page might be causing your problems.  If there's a
problem with your HTML authoring, provide a simpler example, with no
extraneous rubbish on the page.

> The first image (part of) is a single layered image (.png or .jpg),
> crisp and without any blury "jpeg" artifact. When that image is placed
> inside a html file, Firefox shows it like a bad jpeg image and it's
> got a lighter coloured background (?), see the 2nd image. If watch the
> same page on a machine running Windows 2000/Internet Explorer, it
> shows perfectly...

Different computers handle PNGs differently (they can have gamma
information included, and it gets ignored by MSIE).  So a PNG of the
same image can look different than a JPEG of the same image (your
background colour problem, for example).

MSIE frequently gets things wrong, it's rendering of PNGs is no
exception, many authors don't know this, and those who've misconstructed
source material (their PNGs) don't realise the cause, then try to get
the wrong results everywhere, instead of fixing up the source (the right
gamma in the PNG, or not including any).

Alternatively, the next most common thing to be a problem is authors
resizing images with the browser.  Many browsers do a truly awful job of
this.

Your example test page is too convoluted to quickly examine and come up
with an explanation and solution, though.

I read messages from the public lists.