Archiving Data Permanently

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 18 16:30:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 08:14 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> This is one option that is used around here but there are reports that
> I have heard about HD's that don't like being left alone on the shelf
> and need to be part of a computer or they commit suicide. :)

I wouldn't be surprised.  They're mechanical devices, and bearings do
stuff up.

In around 20+ years of working in audio and video production, I can say
that things like tape decks left sitting in storage often need some
maintenance to free up stuck bearings.  Sometimes quite a lot of effort
is required to get them working again.

Of course, some of that may be due to the bearings not being sealed.
But tight bearing fittings and temperature changes might just contribute
to something that wasn't designed as well as it ought to be, getting
stuck.

I read messages from the public lists.